The Best Changing Pad Covers and Liners
Have you spent so much money on your changing table pad that now you worry about how to keep it clean?
Do you want to make sure the changing pad is as comfortable as possible for your baby?
If so, the solution to both these problems is simple: changing pad covers.
The right liners will help protect your changing pad from wetness and stains, but also keep your little one nice and warm while you get to work with diaper changing.
Are Changing Pad Covers Necessary?
You already have a changing pad. So why would you want a cover and a liner? Do all moms use them?
Covers and liners aren’t essential, but they are a good idea.
Why It's Useful
The cover and the liner serve a different purpose than the pad does. The pad is meant to keep your baby cushioned during diaper changes and protect your belongings from pee and poop that makes its way out of the diaper.
But what protects the changing pad itself? Depending upon what kind of material you get and if there are any indented designs on the pad, your changing pad can get stained. That’s where liners and covers come in.
They both will also help soak up any pee that starts spouting after you take your baby’s diaper off, leaving you with less cleaning to do. If poop or pee gets on the cover and soaks through to the liner, you simply take them off and pop them into the washing machine.
Pee won’t be running off the waterproof surface and onto your belongings like it would if you were just using a changing pad.
Another upside to having a cover is that it keeps your baby comfortable. Most changing pads are enclosed with a plastic waterproof layer that can be cold against your baby’s back. If you don’t want to wake them up or make them less comfortable potentially, then a cover is a nice touch.
What Should I Look For?
You don’t need to weigh up a bunch of pros and cons when you’re buying covers and liners. There are really just four simple things to consider.
- Cost: Compared to how much money you’ll be spending on other baby items like breast pumps, bottles, a stroller and a crib, covers and liners are pretty cheap. Although there are pricier options out there too, you’ll be able to find something affordable if you need to.
- Appearance: The great thing about covers is that you will have so many choices you’re bound to find one that will go great with your nursery decor.
- Material: Pay attention to the softness of the liner and cover because your baby will be on them multiple times a day. There are so many great-feeling materials out there that will feel warm and comforting to your baby’s bare back and bottom, and won’t cause a rash.
Absorbability: You’ll want to make sure that the liners you choose won’t just repel liquid like your changing pad will. You want something that will actually absorb pee so it won’t pool up and get all over your baby’s back, bottom or clothes.
How Many Do I Need?
Two Will Do
You’ll only need two changing pad covers for your diapering needs. Some people may think one is enough and if you’re really diligent about doing your laundry, it might be. But others aren’t as good about immediately washing soiled changing pads, so two might be a safer bet.
With my first baby, I was convinced I would rock the whole mothering thing. I was right on top of things. As soon as something got dirty, I would whisk it right away to the washing machine and promptly take care of it.
That lasted for three or four months and then I started to feel so bogged down by my daily to-do list that my reaction time slowed considerably. And that’s OK. Moms are often far happier when they let go of little things like that and give up that elusive goal of perfection.
So do yourself a favor and buy two changing pad covers instead of one. That way, you’ll always have a clean one waiting in the wings.
The Best Changing Pad Covers of 2018
We honesty! Mom Loves Best earns a commission through the following independently chosen links at no additional cost to you.
Changing pad covers don’t seem like such a big deal until you have to survive one of those bleary-eyed, 2 am diaper changes in the dark, and suddenly wonder why your shirt feels wet. A big part of childcare is simply keeping the mess at bay, and the right cover or liner will really come through for you when it matters. Here are our top 4 picks for 2018:
Best Waterproof Changing Pad Liners
This changing pad cover can be wiped off when poop or pee gets on it, and then it’ll be as good as new. You don’t need to wash it in the machine to take care of accidents, and that’s great news for busy moms who don’t have the time to do extra laundry.
While the sides of the cover are soft, the middle is the tough, wipeable part. If you do want to give this cover a more thorough cleaning occasionally, you can toss it in the machine on a gentle cycle.
- You won’t have to wash it every time your baby has an accident.
- Fits contoured changing pads really well.
- It’s affordable.
2. Biloban Cotton Terry Changing Pad Liners
Best Non-Skid Liners
When you have a non-skid changing pad, you’ll want a cover that doesn’t envelope the whole pad. You need to have that non-skid backing making contact with the table so it won’t defeat the purpose of having non-skid protection to begin with.
This cover will fit standard changing pads measuring up to 16 x 34 inches and it’s compatible with security straps, which should make safety-minded moms happy.
The pad cover is machine washable and it will also resist stains, which is nice if you’ve been burned by poopy blowouts before. The Velboa material is soft and will keep your baby’s back warm during diaper changes, and the material is lightweight enough to be comfortable even in hot summer weather.
This is a good choice for babies who have sensitive skin, since it won’t irritate them like the scratchy fabric on some other covers.
- This liner is a great value for money.
- The liner is always warm so you won’t startle a sleepy baby when you change them.
- The pastel is brighter and more colorful than many others are.
3.Biloban Waterproof Flannel Changing Table Pad Liners
- 100% Premium Cotton - changing pad liners have cotton surface for a plush, blanket-like feel, no sharp spurs to irritate the baby's sensitive skin
- Multi Purpose - everyday use on the changing table, under the crib sheet, in the stroller and car seat. Flannel changing pad cover is portable and convenient for travelling
- Safe for Baby & You - 100% nontoxic, antibacterial, hypoallergenic & naturally odor-resistant. Even the TPU backing is free of PVC & phthalates
- Durable & Easy Care: Simply toss soiled liners in the washing machine. Great alternative to baby`s waterproof changing pad liner
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE! Click the Add to Cart button now and buy changing pad with confidence from Biloban
- Absorbant cotton terry surface and vinyl free waterproof TPU backing
- New and improved size is 14 x 27 inches, larger and wider.
- Portable and convenient for travelling, perfect at home
- Lab tested wash durablility, great alternative to disposable liners
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE! Click the Add to Cart button now and buy with confidence from Biloban
The Bottom Line
As a mom of two kids who has struggled with sensitive skin, my favorite product on the list is the Biloban Bamboo changing pad liners. I love that they’re hypoallergenic so my kids won’t develop rashes from all the time they spend on their changing pads.
As a health-minded mom, I also appreciate that the fabric hasn’t been treated with synthetic pesticides. Plus, I love that they retain their softness wash after wash, which is important from a baby’s point of view!
Whichever product you choose, I hope you take a few moments out of each busy day to treasure your baby and all those quiet, snuggly moments. Please share any thoughts or comments below; we’re always listening!